The “H” Visa for Professionals.

The “H” Visa for Professionals. More than forty professionals are listed as being deemed “professional”: such as:

  • Computer system analysts,
  • Engineers,
  • Accountants,
  • Dentists,
  • College, university or seminar professors,
  • Scientists,
  • Architects,
  • Lawyers,
  • Nurses,
  • Medical, laboratory or clinical technicians.

Athletes are no longer on this list as they have their own P category.
The H visa allows these professionals to enter into the United States pursuant to consular application.

However they have the right to be employed by an American company and to be remunerated in the United States.
Although we define a “professional” as being a person holding a university diploma, this diploma is not required for all professionals who can substitute experience and notoriety therefore.

Conversely for others, such as librarians, a master’s degree is required. In the case of professionals in hotel administration and journalism, a bachelor’s degree is required as well as three years’ experience in order to enter the United States.

Doctors are only eligible as H1 candidates in the fields of clinical teaching or research but are not allowed to practice ( direct patient care).