L-1 Visa to Green Card

If you are from another country, you may be confused about all the paperwork that is required in order to get the documentation that is required to make you legal so you can live and work in the United States.

These are complicated documents that must be completely accurately by a qualified law firm in order to ensure a smooth transition and the approvals that you need.

L-1 Visa is a non-immigrant visa that specifically enables companies to transfer their employees to U.S operations. This is a work visa that allows you to come to the U.S. and perform your duties with your company. You can apply for a green card, which gives you permanent residency, while you have an L-1 Visa.

If you choose to apply for a green card, your L-1 Visa won’t be in jeopardy and you can still leave the country while your application is being considered. The requirements for the L-1 Visa to Green Card application are complex, and there are some differences of note between the L1A and the L1B.

In order to qualify for an L-1 A Visa, you must be the manager or executive of a company for at least a year before coming to the U.S. If you have an L-1 B Visa, you are an intracompany employee with specialized knowledge.

With an L-1 B Visa, you will have to apply for labor certification in order to apply for a green card. Labor certification requires that your employer show there are no minimally required U.S. workers available to fill your position at their company.

An L-1 Visa offers “dual content”, which means you can continue to live and work in the U.S. as usual after you have applied for your green card. After you have worked in the U.S. for a continuous year you can opt to apply for a green card to stay in the U.S. permanently. It is wise to seek assistance when you are wanting to convert from an L-1 Visa to a green card. An expert is trained in how to properly complete the paperwork so the transition will go more smoothly.